[Tutor] Is pydoc the right API docs?

Rich Lovely roadierich at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 24 17:43:50 CET 2009

11/24 Kent Johnson <kent37 at tds.net>:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 5:06 AM, Nick
> <reply_to_is_valid at nowhere.com.invalid> wrote:
>> I'm not sure I'm using pydoc correctly.  I only seem to get abbreviated
>> help rather than full documentation.  It happens often enough that I think
>> I'm doing something wrong.
>
>> I found the answer using google, but that won't work if I'm offline.  Am I
>> using pydoc correctly?  Or is there a more complete language spec?
>
> pydoc just shows the docstrings. It does not include the full text of
> the documentation. For that see
> http://python.org/doc/
>
> You can download the docs for offline use, see the above link.
>
> Kent

Although, iirc the online docs are generated by pydoc.

It tells you that it calls value.__format__, so try $pydoc some_value.__format__

For example:

$pydoc str.__format__

I don't have python installed here, so can't check it, but it might
give you some more information.   The same will happen if you try
looking at the pydocs for, for example, str or repr:  they are
wrappers for magic methods on the object it is called with.

--
Rich "Roadie Rich" Lovely

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who know binary,
those who do not, and those who are off by one.