[Tutor] (no subject)

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 24 21:08:45 CET 2009

"OkaMthembo" <zebra05 at gmail.com> wrote

> When i started off i had pretty much the same questions. I think you need
> start with the Python tutorial as it will show you the basics

Unfortunately it won't if the OP is a complete beginner - and from his
email it
sounds like he is. The standard tutorial assumes quite a lot of knowledge
about programming, assuming you know at least one other language.

Thats why there are several "absolute beginners" tutorials - because for
many python programmers it is their first exposure and the standard
tutorial
is not ideal for them.

OTOH, If you have ever done any programming before then the standard
tutorial is excellent.

> keywords and how to define and use functions, classes, modules etc).

This is a good example. The standard tutorial assumes readers know
what a function is and why you'd want to use one.
The section on classes starts with a fauirly detailed description of
namespaces and scopes and the fine differences between
them - completely meaningless to a complete beginner.

And of course it doesn't describe IDLE - which is what the OP says
he has available.

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site