[Tutor] the art of testing

Serdar Tumgoren zstumgoren at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 16:23:25 CET 2009

Thanks to everyone for the detailed and varied responses. They really
help get me situated in this unfamiliar world of testing.

And the more I hear from you folks, the more I start thinking that my
confusion arose because I don't have a formal set of requirements and
therefore have to wear multiple hats: requirements writer, coder and
tester. It's clear that I also have plenty to learn about the *types*
of tests one should conduct on a given project, and how to determine
what those tests should be based on risk assessments of a specific
project.

So it seems I have quite a bit of work to do before I return to unit
testing. I'm planning to gather more details about my raw input data,
and then resume writing requirements. And then, when I have a clearer
sense of the project needs, will return to the unit tests and program
code.

Hopefully that's a sensible plan.  Please correct me if I've
misunderstood the lessons you've tried to relate!

Meantime, many thanks again for the excellent guidance!

Regards,
Serdar