[Tutor] python time

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Thu Nov 26 12:51:02 CET 2009

spir wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How does python get the time in microseconds? (In other words, how would I get it if python (like some other languages) would provide time in whole seconds only?)
>
> Thank you,
> Denis
> ________________________________
>
> la vita e estrany
>
> http://spir.wikidot.com/

You need to supply more information about your environment, and maybe
the reason for asking.  Since you don't, I'll make some guesses.

If you're trying to do extremely fine delta-time measurements, there is
a Pentium instruction to fetch the number of clock cycles.  You'd get
this in assembler language, or with _asm in C code.

If you're on Windows, there is a NtQuerySystemTime() function exported
by ntdll.dll.  It fetches a large integer specifying the number of
100-ns intervals since some epoch time in 1601.  It's been deprecated,
however, in favor of GetSystemTimeAsFileTime(), available in Win2k and
later, and exported from kernel32.dll

There are others, but I can't find them at the moment.