[Tutor] using easy_install to download eggs

Rüdiger Wolf rudiger.wolf at throughputfocus.com
Mon Oct 5 15:06:13 CEST 2009

Snip from PIP http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pip/0.4

Differences From easy_install
pip cannot install some packages. Specifically:
    * It cannot install from eggs. It only installs from source. (Maybe
    this will be changed sometime, but it's low priority.)

If you want to download eggs then you might try basketweaver?

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/basketweaver/
basketweaver is a tool for creating your own package index out of a
directory full of eggs. You can then point to this index with e.g.
zc.buildout or setuptools and thus be independant of PyPI.

Cheers
Rudiger