[Tutor] Which version to start with?

Wayne srilyk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 15:32:52 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Ken G. <beachkid at insightbb.com> wrote:

>  I am just starting on Python 2.6.2 on Ubuntu 9.04 and I am slightly
> confused with the numerous tutorials and books available for learning the
> language.  Is there any good recommendation for a good but easy tutorial on
> the Internet to learn Python?
>
> Ken

Alan has a good tutorial:
www.alan-g.me.uk/

I haven't read it, but a lot of others on here are big fans of Wesley's
book:
http://python.net/crew/wesc/cpp/

There are several other sources and tutorials around, those are just the
first two that popped into my mind :)

I kinda hopped around to various tutorials, especially since I've programmed
before (and am a CS major), so a lot of the concepts were a bit easier for
me to grasp.

Alan's tutorial does a great job explaining a lot of concepts behind
programming in general and ties them to programming in python.

HTH,
Wayne

> wesley chun wrote:
>
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 2:24 PM, Nick Hird <nrhird at gmail.com> <nrhird at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>  What is the best version of python to start out with? I see some
> discussions on the net about not going to 3.1 but staying with the 2.x
> releases. But then i see that 3.1 is better if your just starting.
>

>  greetings nick!
>
> ironically, i just gave a talk on this very subject yesterday afternoon(!)http://www.siliconvalley-codecamp.com/Sessions.aspx?OnlyOne=true&id=227
>
> basically, if you're starting from scratch as a hobby with no
> pre-existing code, then learning 3.x is okay. however, since most of
> the world still runs on Python 2, most printed and online books and
> tutorials are still on Python 2, and the code at most companies using
> Python is still on version 2, i would recommended any release 2.6 (and
> newer). the reason is because 2.6 is the first release that has
> 3.x-specific features backported to it, so really, it's the first
> Python 2 release that lets you start coding against a 3.x interpreter.
>
> you can learn Python using 2.6+ then absorb the differences and move
> to Python 3.x quite easily.
>
> hope this helps!
> -- wesley

To be considered stupid and to be told so is more painful than being called
gluttonous, mendacious, violent, lascivious, lazy, cowardly: every weakness,
every vice, has found its defenders, its rhetoric, its ennoblement and
exaltation, but stupidity hasn’t. - Primo Levi