[Tutor] Checking for Python version

Christian Witts cwitts at compuscan.co.za
Tue Oct 6 16:26:23 CEST 2009

Didar Hossain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using the following code to check for the Python version -
>
> import os
>
> t = os.sys.version_info[0:2]
> if (t[0] + t[1]) < 6:
>     os.sys.exit("Need at least Python 2.4")
> del t
>
> This snippet is put at the beginning of the single script file before
> the rest of the code.
> I need to check for the minimum specific version because I am using
> the "@staticmethod"
> directive.
>
> Is there a prettier way or is this fine?
>
> Regards,
> Didar

Your version will fail if the person is running Python 3.0, 3.1 up until
the 3.3 series which is not good.  Neater looking (imo) code below.

from sys import version_info, exit

if version_info[0] == 1 or (version_info[0] == 2 and version_info[1] < 4):
    exit("Please upgrade to Python 2.4 or greater.")

--
Kind Regards,
Christian Witts