[Tutor] What language should I learn after Python?

Mark Young marky1991 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 23:16:50 CEST 2009

 I have no real need to learn anything for a job, it's just a hobby right
now. I mostly just want "a programming language that has a different
philosophy or approach than
Python".  However, you guys are right, if I just learn a language without a
reason, it will be worthless.

When I tried to learn C++, I just got extremely confused, I didn't even
understand the basic "Hello World" script. I may have given up too quickly;
maybe I should try again, or maybe I'll try C.

I was thinking about Java, and I heard about Lisp, I heard that it would
supposedly make you a better programmer or something. I looked at Lisp, but
I wasn't sure which one to use, Scheme or Common Lisp. I think I heard the
same about Haskell, but I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm thinking about trying to go back to
C++ or C, to study a a lower level language, or maybe Lisp, just to see
different techniques in a high level language. I guess I have to accept that
things will be different in any language, and if I want to learn different
methods and gain new abilities, I'll just have suck it up and start reading.