[Tutor] Help or Advice on MySQL, Python and test data storage

Serdar Tumgoren zstumgoren at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 14:02:31 CEST 2009

> looking for some advice on using Python with MySQL for test data
> storage. What builds of Python work well with MySQL and what modules
> allow the connection to the database and data transfer activities.

You'll need the MySQLdb module to connect to MySQL from Python.

According to its sourceforge page, the module supports:
    MySQL versions 3.23-5.1; and Python versions 2.3-2.5 are supported.

One of the reviews on the page says it also works with Python 2.6.

> I'm thinking about using PhPMyAdmin to set-up and administer my
> database in the first instance until I get going with the project,
> though I could create tables using the commandline option. Is there a
> Python equivalent to PhPMyAdmin?

If you already know how to use phpMyAdmin and it serves your needs,
why not just stick
with it?

Another option is MySQL's database management tools:

I don't believe these can administer remote databases, but you'll
want to check the docs on that to be sure. I've only used them on a local
machine, and they worked fine for that purpose.