[Tutor] Porting PHP web app to Python GUI

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 12 16:22:16 CEST 2009

"John" <jfabiani at yolo.com> wrote

>> 1) GUI with several input areas which are analogous to the HTML
>> Select, Input=Text, and Textarea fields.
>> 2) insert the data collected into an sqlite database
>> 3) Retrieve and display data from the database using predefined queries.
>>
>> I am familiar with the SQL language, some PHP and some C programing. I
>> have never done GUI programming other than HTML. Does PyQt seem to
>> have a reasonable learning curve for this application?
>
> Take a look at Dabo www.dabodev.com.  Dabo works with SQLite, MySQL,
> MsSQL,
> Firebird, and Postgres.  Use the ClassDesigner to create simple forms in
> visual way.

Dabo would be a good choice for this kind of app.
It has a visual GUI designer and is optimised for working with databases.

But any Python GUI framework would be suitable from Tkinter through
wxPython to PyQt etc. This is very much bread and butter GUI programming.
The learning curve for any GUI is prettty high though, and Dabo's visual
designer will take one part of that pain away.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site