[Tutor] Switching to other version of Python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 13 01:36:39 CEST 2009

"Corey Richardson" <kb1pkl at aim.com> wrote

> My school has python 2.4. I have python 2.6, and I find it perfectly
> wonderful. However, I am contemplating the switch, and am wondering,
> what is your personal opinion on why or why not to use 3.x? Thanks for
> the help in advance,

Well your Python 3 programs won't run as expected on your school v2.4
and your schoool programs won;t run at all on your python v3.

So I'd stay well clear of v3 for now. There is no compelling reason
to switch yet.

You could keep 2.6 on your own PC and use v3 of course but
most of the v3 stuff is available in 2.6. Also you could upgrade
to 2.7 for even more 3 compatibility but still better with 2.4 than
using 3 would be.

Resist the urge to upgrade just for the sake of it.
(Advice I fail to follow in HiFi but try to follow in everything else! :-)

Alan G.