[Tutor] Shebang (#!) in the first line of a python script

Scott Markwell mystylplx at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 02:29:57 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Dave Angel <davea at ieee.org> wrote:

> Katt wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>> You were right.  I did not have .PY/.PYW in my PATHEXT.  I have put it in
>> as
>> suggested.  I do have python.exe in my path so that should take care of
>> things.
>>
>> Messing around with the windows registry isn't something I want to tackle
>> just yet so I will save that for later.
>>
>> Thank you for your help,
>>
>> Katt
>>
> You don't have to directly mess with the registry.  But if you just enter
> the script name, you are causing the registry lookups just the same.  As I
> said, the install took care of it for you, and you shouldn't have to change
> till you have two installs.
>
> But to re-iterate:  When you run a script this way, the PATH is *not* used
> to look up the Python.exe, but only to search for the script.
>
> DaveA

You can do it strictly through the explorer. Right click on any .py or .pyw
file and select 'properties.' Where it says 'open with' click 'change.' In
the dialog select 'other' and browse to python.exe. Make sure it's the
python.exe from the version you want to use.

I just installed python 2.6 and had to do that and set the paths manually as
for some reason the installer didn't do it for me.

(oops hit "reply" the first time instead of "reply all." New to this mailing
list thing.)

This just goes to show that there's nothing an agnostic can't do if he
really doesn't know if he believes in anything or not.

~Monty Python