[Tutor] Methods that return instances of their own class?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 15 20:04:08 CEST 2009

"Che M" <pine508 at hotmail.com> wrote

> Since this is the tutor list, I'd like to ask some questions about
> structures used here that I haven't encountered before.  I hope
> you'll excuse me asking

Thats OK.

> class Payoffs(list):
>      def __init__(self, value=None):
>          list.__init__(self)

> This class is a list that has methods?  That seems sort
> of unusual to me.  Am I interpreting that right?

Its right and normal.  Standard Python lists have methids try dir(list)

> How is this class called?  With a list AND a value?

No, just a value, like any other class.
All that is happening is normal class definition where the
superclass is a built in type.

> does it mean to initialize a list (the third line?).

Its initialising the underlying list - the superclass - the python list
object.

Although it may not work as expected, I suspect the OP may need
to do this via creating a __new__ method.

> here.  But if value == None, was there any list to extend,

It means no value was provided so we are creating
a default one

> Why not just pass a list and to a class directly, and if
> not use a default list without having to use .extend()?

I'm not sure why extend is being used - I didn't look that
closely, but essentially the OP is doing what you suggest.

>      def __repr__(self):

> What is the reason for using __repr__() here and also
> this |1 style?  I have not seen this before.

Its the OPs prefered style of representing his list.
You can always override repr to present the object in a more
readable style - where readable is subjective.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site