[Tutor] Understanding what the code does behind the scenes

Katt the_only_katala at verizon.net
Fri Oct 16 11:03:40 CEST 2009

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 08:11:11 +0100
> From: "Alan Gauld" <alan.gauld at btinternet.com>
> To: tutor at python.org
> Subject: Re: [Tutor] Changing the color of text in the windows shell
> (WinXP/python 2.6.2)
> The textcolor() function returns None. so you need to keep it
> out of your print statement:. This means you need to split your
> print into multiple separate statements. (This will also be true
> for the pywin32 version)
>
> print "There are",
> textcolor(4)
> print apples_left,
> textcolor(7)
> print "left in the basket."

The above code is very easy to understand when looking at it, but from what
I see of other programmers this would not be as pythonic.

> The way I'd handle thus is to create a function which takes a
> list of tuples as input, with each tuple containing the string
> and its colour:
>
> def colorPrint(strings):
>    for string in strings:
>         textcolor(string[1])
>         print string[0],

In the above function please let me know if I am correct in my
interpretation.
The first line of course would be the defining of the function and puting
something in the parenthesis indicates that you will be passing a value to
this function.
The second line says that for each string in the colorPrint statement check
to see what the color code is.
The third line says that if it detects a ",#" to change it to a color based
on the textcolor function in the WConio module.
The fourth line puzzles me though.  I think it says that when the textcolor
returns the zero that it doesn't print the None?  I am not sure though.

Could you let me know if I have the right idea?

Thanks in advance,

Katt