[Tutor] Help deciding between python and ruby

bob gailer bgailer at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 00:48:12 CEST 2009

dan06 wrote:
> I'd like to learn a programming language - and I need help deciding between
> python and ruby. I'm interesting in learning what are the difference, both
> objective and subjective, between the two languages. I know this is a python
> mailing list, so knowledge/experience with ruby may be limited - in which
> case I'd still be interested in learning why members of this mailing list
> chose python over (or in addition to) any other programming language. I look
> forward to the feedback/insight.

I've used and taught many many languages. My favorites are APL and
Python. I just went through some Ruby tutorials. I see some neat things,
but in general it seems that Ruby requires more keyboard activity
(typing) to get the same result. I will stick with Python. But then
there are those who stick with COBOL, so who knows the truth?

--
Bob Gailer
Chapel Hill NC