[Tutor] Help deciding between python and ruby

Dirk Wangsadirdja dirk at pensiun.com
Sat Sep 5 02:00:49 CEST 2009

Hi,

I've never learned ruby, but from what I read, ruby is a pure OOP
language, and if you are going to do a lot of web creation, then ruby on
rails is a good one.

What I can advice is, if you choose to stick with python, perhaps you
shouldn't use python 3.x, but use python 2.5 (from what I heard, its
supposed to be the best version?).

Why? many python packages that later on I'm sure you would like to use
are still based on python 2.x.

I didnt know it before, and I start by learning python 3.1. Since I
start with that (and because I'm too stubborn), I don't want to start
learning python 2.x. But thats my choice, and if there are packages that
I cant use yet, I just have to live with that.

Besides that, I think that most of the python tutorials are still based
on python 2.x.

In case you're not aware of it, python 3.x is not backward compatible.
And since there are several changes in python 3.x, it wouldnt be able to
run python 2.x script.

And if you're planning to make executeable files from your script, as
far that I know, until now there are no tools to convert python 3.x
script to executeable yet.