[Tutor] run command

Eike Welk eike.welk at gmx.net
Sat Sep 5 16:41:53 CEST 2009

Hello Upasara!

On Saturday 05 September 2009, upasara wulung wrote:
> (1) In a certain working folder, I produced simple python file, for
> an example, hello.py, which is free of error.
> (2) I called python from the same working folder using command
> 'python' (3) In the python shell, I executed: >>> run hello.py
>
> But I got only an error message: SyntaxError: invalid syntax.
>
> Please tell me a clue? I did those stuffs in Linux Debian.

You have maybe confused Python and Ipython. Ipython is an alternative
Python interpreter, with additional commands for interactive work. It
has a 'run' command. To run it type 'ipython' in the shell window.

If the 'ipython' program is not present on your computer go to the
system administrator and ask him to install it. There is certainly an
Ipython package for Debian.

Kind regards,
Eike.