[Tutor] Image manipluation (On-the-fly thumbnail creation)

Patrick Sabin patrick.just4fun at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 20:51:05 CEST 2009

dan06 wrote:
> I've recently delved into python, about a week or so ago; I'm trying to
> figure out how to create on-the-fly thumbnails. Are there python standard
> library modules I could/should use or should I use external libraries like:
> GD, Gimp, or ImageMagick?

When I needed thumbnails of my images, I created them using ImageMagick.
  ImageMagick is a very nice tool for editing images and since it is
called from the command line it is easy to invoke it from a programming
language. There are python-bindings for it, but I think they are not
very actively maintained and so I wouldn't use them.

Using PIL is another option and maybe more pythonic, but if you are
familiar with ImageMagick it might be a good alternative.

- Patrick