[Tutor] html color coding: where to start

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Thu Sep 17 19:25:11 CEST 2009

2009/9/17 Emad Nawfal (عماد نوفل) <emadnawfal at gmail.com>:
> Hi Tutors,
> I want to color-code the different parts of the word in a morphologically
> complex natural language. The file I have looks like this, where the fisrt
> column is the word, and the  second is the composite part of speech tag. For
> example, Al is a DETERMINER, wlAy is a NOUN and At is a PLURAL NOUN SUFFIX
>
> Al+wlAy+At        DET+NOUN+NSUFF_FEM_PL
> Al+mtHd+p        DET+ADJ+NSUFF_FEM_SG
>
> The output I want is one on which the word has no plus signs, and each
> segment is color-coded with a grammatical category. For example, the noun is
> red, the det is green, and the suffix is orange.  Like on this page here:
> http://docs.google.com/View?id=df7jv9p9_3582pt63cc4
> I am stuck with the html part and I don't know where to start. I have no
> experience with html, but I have this skeleton (which may not be the right
> thing any way)

Doing a "view source" on that page shows, in part
style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);">At</span><br><span style="color:
rgb(255, 153, 0);">Al</span><span style="color: rgb(116, 27,
71);">mtHd</span><span style="color: rgb(0, 0,

which should give you a hint on the HTML though you would be better
off using CSS styling. If you use the part of speech as the CSS class
then you can color with a stylesheet that defines the colors for each
part of speech.

You are probably going to have to learn at least a little HTML to do
this - google HTML tutorial.

This recent package looks like a simple way to generate HTML programmatically:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/html/1.4

Kent