[Tutor] How to get homework help (was need to hire a tutor... )

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at mapforge.com.au
Tue Sep 22 04:30:59 CEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 17:04 -0400, Kent Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 4:40 PM, daggerdvm <bmxx5386 at aol.com> wrote:
> >
> > hi i need a tutor for help with python.  I'll ask you basic questions through
> > email and such.  I can pay by the hour or by week or whatever.
>
> We do that for free here, just post your questions to the list. We try
> not to give answers to homework problems, other than that ask away!
>
> Kent

I'm new on this list <*waves hello to everyone*>, but I suspect the
trick to getting help here with homework is pretty much the same as most
other tech lists.

1.  Flag the problem as homework.  Don't try and deceive those who are
trying to help.

2.  Outline your understanding of the problem; Both what you do
understand, and what you don't.

3.  Post the code you've tried.  For larger code blocks, try and explain
what you're wanting each section of the code to do.  This is probably
more for your benefit (to help clarify your thinking on the problem)
than for the experts here; They'll have a pretty good handle on what the
code really is doing ;-)

4. If you haven't got code yet, post pseudo code outlining how you might
approach the problem.  This will help develop your algorithm for solving
the problem.  Don't underestimate the importance of this step.  If you
don't have a good algorithm for solving the problem, all the language
syntax in the world won't help.

5.  Accept that you won't be given answers directly, but there is an
enormous amount of patience, help and sympathy for those first starting
out. Everyone who has reached the 'high ground' on the learning journey
likes to see someone new starting out and making headway on the same
journey.  They'll (almost always) gladly extend a hand in help, but
won't do the journey for you.  Anything worthwhile must be earned, and
that means putting in the hard yards.  Be polite, patient and respectful
of those who have gone before you, and they'll keep extending the hand
of help.  Abuse the help, and it won't last long.  A bit like life in
general really.

6.  Don't post the same question in every forum you can find.  Any
decent forum will have enough experts to help out.  And don't abuse
those contributing to the discussion; remember that bit about showing
respect?  And that help being withdrawn?

7.  The advice given on http://www.pubbs.net/python/200909/108644/
shouldn't be ignored (yes, I can use google too).  ESR (love him or
loath him) really was giving good advice in
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html.  There is a reason it
gets quoted regularly.  Ignore it at your peril.

Try it on the problem you posted previously; you might not have
understood the hints that were given (probably not if your postings
elsewhere are anything to go by) but if you're fair dinkum give it a go.
If your just wanting to pass your class by getting others to solve your
programming problems for you, get some spine and do it properly or fail
graciously.  The alternative is to be a fraud, and that never gets
respect.

Tim Bowden