[Tutor] How to deploy and upgrade python and its apps

Dilip M dilipm79 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 11:06:51 CEST 2010

Hi All,

I would like to understand how to deploy specific version of python and its
modules and apps in consistent manner.

Use case:

1- How to install specific version of python in my own path. (consider
  NFS, /opt/sw/bin and /opt/sw/lib). This particular share is mounted on all
dev machines.

2- How to develop application _using_ only the python and its libs installed in
  /opt/sw/bin and /opt/sw/lib.

3- Now once developed, my applications is dependent on python and its libs in
  /opt/sw/bin and /opt/sw/lib. Hence I want to keep it in sync on all machines
(ofcourse it is mounted). Giving me chance to rollback it necessary.

Here is what I am thinking of doing it. Please correct me and suggest
the better way!

1-

Install python in this location.

./configure --prefix=/opt/sw
make
make install

2-
setenv PYTHONPATH=/opt/sw/lib/python

3. Add whole /opt/sw to some dvcs (hg) and keep updating to stable revisions.

-- Dilip