[Tutor] the binary math "wall"

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Wed Apr 21 18:31:25 CEST 2010

Lowell Tackett wrote:
> From the virtual desk of Lowell Tackett

If you're trying to be accurate when calling cos, why are you using
degrees?  The cosine function takes an angle in radians.  So what you
need is a method to convert from deg/min/sec to radians.  And once you
have to call trig, you can throw out all the other nonsense about
getting exact values.  Trig functions don't take arbitrary number
units.  They don't take decimals, and they don't take fractions.  They
take double-precision floats.

Perhaps you don't realize the amount of this quantization error we've
been talking about.  The double type is 64bits in size, and contains the
equivalent of about 18 decimal digits of precision.  (Assuming common
modern architectures, of course)

Your angle is specified to about 5 digits of precision, and the distance
to 7.  So it would take a VERY large number of typical calculations for
errors in the 18th place to accumulate far enough to affect those.

The real problem, and one that we can't solve for you, and neither can
Python, is that it's easy to do calculations starting with 8 digits of
accuracy, and the result be only useful to 3 or 4.  For example, simply
subtract two very close numbers, and use the result as though it were
meaningful.

I once had a real customer send us a letter asking about the math
precision of a calculation he was doing.  I had written the math
microcode of the machine he was using (from add and subtract, up to
trigs and logs, I wrote it all).  So I analyzed his problem, pointed out
his errors, and sent him away happy.

He was trying to calculate the difference between a perfectly flat
machine table, and one that was leval at all points, following the
curvature of the earth.  With a table of 200 feet, the distinction was a
measurable one, and he was trying to calculate it.

His effective math was calculating the distance from the center of the
earth to each end of the table, and subtracting.  So he was subtracting
two very close numbers.  I did some simple geometry (using similar
triangles), and showed him another way to do the calculation.

Anyway, in your case binary floating point is irrelevant.  You've got to
do your own error analysis of every step in the calculation to
understand how much you can trust the result.  And it's unlikely the
"errors" in the math package will be the limiting factor.

DaveA