[Tutor] Which Designer

Steve Willoughby steve at alchemy.com
Mon Apr 26 03:31:30 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 01:48:24AM +0100, Sharon wrote:
> I think you are probably right. The only other sort of programming I did
> before I started on python was really 'VBA' and everything was done with
> GUI. I think that is what was in my mind. I have started using Tkinter
> and it isn't so bad. I just like the idea of having the visual side of

Tkinter is really not a bad way to quickly hack together a GUI application
which will run on pretty much anything.  In my experience, I started with
more primitive toolkits for X and they were a real pain until I discovered
Tcl/Tk, which was truly wonderful to move to.

However, there are some real disadvantages to Tk(inter) as well, chiefly
that it is a least-common denominator which does a passable job of running
GUIs but they don't look consistent with the native look of Windows or OS/X
or whatever.  And there is a lot of missing functionality.

I'm getting into wxPython at the moment, and I have to say it's at least
worth a look.  It's also available for every platform (but doesn't come
with Python), and is far more complete, and just about as easy to use
as Tk, but looks a lot more polished.

There are other toolkits with their advocates as well, of course, but if
someone were just starting out with Python GUI programming, I'd recommend
looking around at your options before starting with Tk.

--
Steve Willoughby    |  Using billion-dollar satellites
steve at alchemy.com   |  to hunt for Tupperware.