[Tutor] Using Regex to produce text

mhw at doctors.net.uk mhw at doctors.net.uk
Wed Apr 28 17:32:38 CEST 2010

While some patterns are infinite, other's aren't (e.g. The example I gave).

Using a subset of Regex syntax to produce a set of strings has the advantage of using a well understood and documented form, and if you could hook into the existing API, at minimal coding effort.

In addition, it allows a nice symmetry between search and production of resource names.

E.g.

Source some data (containing resources)
Label res 1 to res n using re.pattern(p1)
Add this data to the larger data lump

.... do some stuff...

Find the data items you had again:
DataGroup1 = AllData.search(re.pattern(p1))

I suspect it's not that easy, as I don't think we can get to the internals of the regex FSM. However, I thought it would be worth asking.

Matt
Etc.