[Tutor] Where to start with Unit Testing

Mac Ryan quasipedia at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 11:28:12 CEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 11:59 -0400, Che M wrote:
> Mac, I found this an excellent brief overview of UT and your points
> all
> seem very strong to me.  Thanks very much.  I admit I didn't really
> know
> anything about the topic and was mentioning my feelings on the matter
> partly to elicit enlightening responses like this (maybe because I was
> feeling
> like I was being irresponsible with my own project by not learning UT
> and running tests).
>
> I am in the "hobbyist programmer busy on a simple one-off small app"
> camp ("simple" is relative...though it is clearly nothing like a big
> e-commerce application!), so I feel OK with foregoing getting into UT
> for now.  If things get more complex and I at some point have actual
> users
> instead of the large number of vapor users I have now (:D) I may
> buckle
> down and learn it.

No worries than, I am happy my answer was of some use. Unit testing in
python is however very very easy to use in a great number of situations,
so don't be scared to get your hands dirty with it!

A few days back I read this sentence: "Later than you expected, but
sooner than you think" which in the context meant that we tend to
over-estimate our abilities prior to start something new, but than -
once we started working on it, we contrarily under-estimate our ability
to achieve quickly a good level of performance...

Happy learning! :)
Mac.