[Tutor] Idea for a 'Weekly Python Tips' mailing list

Ian Ozsvald ian at ianozsvald.com
Fri Aug 6 18:19:46 CEST 2010

Hi all. I'm a long time Pythonista and co-founder of
http://ShowMeDo.com/ (and author of 140 of the Python tutorials
there), I'm here with an idea...

Recently I've started to follow a couple of email lists that send me
regular tip emails, I've found them to be rather nice - an easy to
read tip that comes every week that I can digest when I'm ready and I
can reference afterwards.

I don't recall ever coming across a Python Learners tip series in this
format and I'm guessing it would be well received. Could I get some
feedback please?

I've already planned a set of 10 weekly tips (each about 5 paragraphs
of text plus code examples) covering a bunch of things that are useful
for a new Python programmer. Some are about the 'right' way to write
Python code, some introduce neat modules (like Excel, web scraping,
processes), some show you how to do complex stuff (like 3D, web
servers and faster mathematics) in just a few lines of Python.

It would also be quite nice to wrap up some of the oft-asked Python
Tutor questions into the tips (I always meant to create some ShowMeDo
videos covering these problems but never had the time :-( ).

Before proceeding I'd like to do a sanity check - has anyone done this
already? I'd hate to re-invent the wheel!

Assuming it hasn't been done - would *you* choose to subscribe to the
list (it would be free, just an email, nothing complex and no
spam/sillyness)? Just say 'yes' if so, that way I know there's an
audience.

If the interest is good then I'll extend the series of 10 and
introduce some guest authors into the mix.

Any takers?
Ian.

--
Ian Ozsvald (A.I. researcher, screencaster)
ian at IanOzsvald.com

http://IanOzsvald.com
http://MorConsulting.com/
http://blog.AICookbook.com/