[Tutor] Distributing Python Code for Commercial Porpoises?

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 7 18:38:20 CEST 2010

(I cancelled the post, since the file was 120K, and unacceptable. It's
now 27K, so everyone should see it, but the print might be a bit tiny.)

Sounds like a plan. I'll give it a go.

For what it's worth, our sponsor has suggested it was the way to go,
i.e., use IDLE to execute it, his large app. Over the last 24 months
though I've discovered our sponsor, while able to produce good python
code, is not real deep in understanding the Python world, environment.
Worse they decided to improve the app

Actually, I stumbled across the code you mention below to reveal version
and dependencies. I may have it operational soon.

OK, I just ran it with the double click method, and am attaching a
snapshot of what I got. I was unable to copy it from the command window.
I think I can fix that, but it would just take too much time now. In the
event the attachment doesn't get to you or not posted, the program
generated warning messages about NumpyTest().test, but opened cleanly
with a prompt. The code I posted in the other thread results in a
similar result, but the program dies immediately. The output also shows
NumpyTest will be removed in the next release (of Numpy?), and that may
be where my partner went wrong. I'm pretty sure he jumped ahead of my
versions despite my cautions.

On 8/6/2010 5:18 PM, Alan Gauld wrote:
> "Wayne Watson" <sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net> wrote
>
>> programs w/o him stumbling. I send him a py program written using
>> Windows Python 2.5. He has the same. I've executed it IDLE and it
>> works fine. He executes, and it squawks
>
> IDLE is a development environment. Never, ever test final code in
> a development environment, test it as it should be run. Double click
> the file in explorer. Better still install a separate copy wherever the
> file will go on the target system - usually somewhere different to
> where you develop it - and run it there.
>
>> same written direction I use. I think he mistakenly installed a
>> different version of numpy. So how can we make sure we or anyone are
>> on the same playing field? Perhaps we should resort to command like
>> execution.
>
> You should definitely not run it from IDLE, that's inefficient and
> likely to hide errors. Run it from a command prompt or by double
> clicking in explorer, or create a shortcut on the desktop.
>
> To check the versions of your packages you could write a short
> test program that simply imports all needed modules and prints
> out the version info (if available) and file details xxx.__file__
>
> You could even use the __file__ info to check the size of the files
> by using the os module functions.
>
>> Is there a Python tool that provides some thorough description of a
>> Python installation?
>
> I'm not aware of such but it should not be hard to check the basics.
> One of the best thins about Python is the high level of portability
> of programs across versions and OS. Its most likely a location
> or PATH setting
>
> HTH,

              "An experiment is a question which science poses to
               Nature, and a measurement is the recording of
               Nature’s answer." -- Max Planck

                      Web Page:<www.speckledwithstars.net/>