[Tutor] os.urandom()

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Tue Aug 10 17:52:12 CEST 2010

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 02:24:00 pm Dave Angel wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> Any suggestions how to fix the Windows console to interpret utf8?
>>

> I don't know about Windows, but under Linux there is a menu command for
> most xterms that let you set it.
>
> Googling led me to this page:
>
> which, if I've read it right, suggests that you should be able to type:
>
> chcp 65001
>
> at the DOS prompt before launching Python, and it theoretically will use
> UTF-8.
>
> Good luck.

I'm going to need it.  If I just try chcp 65001, then batch files no
longer work.  There are lots of links about how to fix it, but I'll
chase them down later.  Some suggestions say to issue chcp on each line
while invoking the batch, and others say that the console has to have a
"compatible" font.  Still others say you have to be full screen.  Maybe
it only works on alternate Thursdays.

DaveA