[Tutor] a graceful program exit

Chris Fuller cfuller084 at thinkingplanet.net
Thu Aug 12 08:59:26 CEST 2010

The preferred and most graceful way is to use neither, as others have pointed
out.  However, you can't return an exit code that way, and it sometimes isn't
feasible to structure your code to allow it.  I prefer SystemExit, because it
doesn't require adding something to the namespace (the sys module), and it
seems a bit more pythonic.  You can trap it, however, which bugs me.  I think
these two should exhibit the same behavior.  I'd use sys.exit for "real" code,
even though it appeals less aesthetically, because it is less prone to doing
something unexpected (one of Python's guiding principles, btw).

Cheers