[Tutor] Trying To Debug Code That Runs Arbitrary Function

Homme, James james.homme at highmark.com
Thu Dec 2 15:35:15 CET 2010

Hi,
If you can get away with not telling me the answer, but pointing me to where to look for the answer, I'd be grateful.

In my Python learning, I am just now starting to understand how to make classes and extend them, so I have a very long way to go.

I wrote this code because I wanted to avoid lots of if statements and having to maintain a bunch of code like that. Eventually, my idea is to read in strings from a file, look one up, and use it to execute a function. So I created the following code. But nothing gets printed to the screen. How do I go about figuring out why this isn't happening? Here's the code.

myfuncs = [ "func1",
                "func2" ]

def func1():
  print "func 1"

def func2():
  print "func 2"

eval (myfuncs[0])

raw_input("Press enter to quit")

Thanks.

Jim
Jim Homme,
Usability Services,
Phone: 412-544-1810. Skype: jim.homme
Internal recipients,  Read my accessibility blog<http://mysites.highmark.com/personal/lidikki/Blog/default.aspx>. Discuss accessibility here<http://collaborate.highmark.com/COP/technical/accessibility/default.aspx>. Accessibility Wiki: Breaking news and accessibility advice<http://collaborate.highmark.com/COP/technical/accessibility/Accessibility%20Wiki/Forms/AllPages.aspx>

This e-mail and any attachments to it are confidential and are intended solely for use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission. The views expressed in this e-mail message do not necessarily represent the views of Highmark Inc., its subsidiaries, or affiliates.