[Tutor] Which non SQL Database ?

Brett Ritter swiftone at swiftone.org
Sun Dec 5 00:27:59 CET 2010

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Jorge Biquez <jbiquez at icsmx.com> wrote:
> Newbie question. Sorry.

If it isn't you're on the wrong list :)

> training so no pressure on performance). One application will run as a
> desktop one,under Windows, Linux, Macintosh, being able to update data, not
> much, not complex, not many records.

The important details here are: simple data, low-volume.  I'm assuming
this is single-user (as in, each instance of your application has it's
own DB)

> The second application, running behind
>  web pages, will do the same,

Is this multiple users, each accessing the same DB?  That really
changes what you are looking for.

If you are dealing with single-user, or only a few users, I'd say look
into SQLite - It uses SQL syntax but doesn't run as a server and
stores the database as a single file.  It's great to use in small
projects because the syntax is the same as larger projects, and you
can replace with a full-blown multi-user SQL DB if you ever need to
without having to rework everything.  It's also very simple to use.  I
believe SQLite (sqlite3) is part of the core library in recent Python
versions, or available as a package for older pythons.

Berkeley DB is pretty much interchangeable with SQLite in terms of
functionality.  I much prefer SQLite.  If your web application intends
to have multiple users interacting with the same data, neither is
probably a good fit.

--
Brett Ritter / SwiftOne
swiftone at swiftone.org