[Tutor] vim as a python editor; FOLLOW-UP QUESTION

Steve Willoughby steve at alchemy.com
Thu Dec 16 20:24:54 CET 2010

On 16-Dec-10 10:58, Joel Schwartz wrote:
> I'm new to Python and have been using IDLE for Python programming. My only
> other significant text editor experience is with Notepad++ and Tinn-R, which
> I've used for R programming. Vim seems more efficient, but I wanted to ask
> you experts whether it makes sense (or is even possible) to use vim in
> Windows (I use Windows XP-SP3).

Vim works wonderfully in Windows, actually, which IMHO really needs an
advanced text editor like vi or emacs or something.

> One more question: IDLE does not appear to have a way to review your command
> history, e.g., by hitting the up arrow. I find the up-arrow to be an
> incredible convenience when I'm working on the R command line, and the lack
> of it in IDLE is often a source of frustration for me. Is there any way to
> set up IDLE to do this? Alternatively, is there another basic Python GUI
> that has the up-arrow command history feature and is also good for Python
> coding in general?

If you use the up-arrow to move your cursor to previous lines in the
IDLE window and hit ENTER, you recall that line where you can edit and
re-enter it.

Steve Willoughby / steve at alchemy.com
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
PGP Fingerprint 48A3 2621 E72C 31D9 2928 2E8F 6506 DB29 54F7 0F53