[Tutor] Problems processing accented characters in ISO-8859-1 encoded texts

Josep M. Fontana josep.m.fontana at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 12:24:30 CET 2010

Hi Steven,

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
<snip>
> Note also that \w means alphanumeric, not just alpha, so it will also match
> digits.

I'm sorry you didn't get to read my next message because in there I
said that you yourself had already solved my problem a few weeks ago.
Then again, I'm not sorry you didn't read it in time because this way
I have benefited again from your pearls of wisdom. In this message you
clarified for me some conceptual problems I had and that is even more
beneficial than just solving the problem at hand (how true that thing
about "Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish." Thanks!

Just one more question. You say that \w means alphanumeric, not just
alpha. Is there any expression that would mean "just alpha" and (given
the appropriate LOCALE setting) would match 'a' and 'ö' but not '9'?

Josep M.