[Tutor] Choice of Python

Knacktus knacktus at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 28 18:28:17 CET 2010

Am 28.12.2010 14:41, schrieb Stefan Behnel:
> Abdulhakim Haliru, 28.12.2010 13:38:
>> I come from a Cakephp, zend framework angle cutting through ASP.net,VB
>> and
>> C# at an intermediate level.
>> [...]
>> Is python really worth the pain or should I just skip it ?
>
> Given that you already invested your time into learning all of the above
> (which basically cover about 1 1/2 of several main corners of
> programming), I think you should really take some time off to unlearn
> some of the bad habits that these particular languages tend to teach
> you. Python is a truly good way to do that.
>
> My advice: don't spend too much time reading books. Pick a task that
> sounds like fun to implement and give it a try with Python. Some would
> propose exercises from project Euler for this or maybe pygame, but
> you'll likely have your own idea about what's fun and what isn't.
+1 for jumping into coding. You seem to have enough experience in
programming generally. With Python the fun comes with the experienced
productivity. At least, that was the case with me.
Learning the syntax is not the deal, but how to design your app. You can
use the best of OO, functional and procedural programming.
Also, Python is to me the best general purpose language. You can create
little helper scripts, web apps and rich client apps with PyQt or WxPython.