[Tutor] Choice of Python

Marc Tompkins marc.tompkins at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 20:48:07 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 10:32 AM, <python at bdurham.com> wrote:

> Most of the hosting companies I've investigated support older versions of
> Python and only support CGI access.
>
> Ah yes - that's what it was.  To use Django (or most other frameworks) you
need some processes to be running more or less constantly, as opposed to in
a CGI context.  Your typical shared Webhosting service is sharing a single
machine or VM with lots of other customers; they can't allow long-running
processes or the whole thing would grind to a halt.  I have no idea how
Webfaction manages it, especially with a starting price of $5.50/month -
it's very tempting...

For the time being I'm not looking to move any sites over - but if the need
arises again, Webfaction will be the first place I check out.

Actually, my own website is a few years overdue for a facelift - maybe I'll
dump Joomla for Django.  Perhaps then I'd actually be interested enough to
maintain the damn thing.

--
www.fsrtechnologies.com