[Tutor] tracking program

Wayne Werner waynejwerner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 22:32:22 CET 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Luis Ortega <gow524 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am fairly new to programming (which means I have never, ever, ever
> written a program).  I have a book or two in Python, and so far I like it.
> I have a stupid question to ask; Is it possible to write an employee's
> internet tracking program in Python?
>
> I know I have a long way before I even attempt to code, but could someone
> describe what the process would entail?  How would my python program be able
> to track an employee as he surfs the net (along with capture IP & time
> wasted on the net).
>
> I know that there are programs that can be purchase to do what I 'm trying
> to accomplish.  I just will like to write it my self.

You're right about having quite a while to go... but it's definitely
possible.

Basically, from about a 10,000' view, you would be writing a program to act
as proxy between the web browser and the internet. I suppose at its most
simple, you could write it with fairly few lines of code. The only thing I'm
not sure on how to do is grab the outgoing connection. I presume it would
require some type of loopback device, but I'm not terribly familiar with
sockets/network programming.

The IP part is pretty simple - a simple google search about "python resolve
ip address" or something to that effect would probably get you good results.

After learning a bit about program flow (i.e. writing a few programs), you
could probably look up "python socket programming" and come up with some
useful info.

HTH,
Wayne