[Tutor] Variable: From input and output

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 4 23:22:00 CET 2010

"ssiverling" <ssiverling at gmail.com> wrote

> So I want to learn assembly.  However, it can take a experienced C
> programmer a year to learn assembly.

Dunno where you got that from.
An experienced C programmer should pick up assembler in a few days.
C is just "portable assembler" It is almost a textual replacement for
All the different addressing modes of assembler - which confuse higher
language programmers - are all directly translateable into C pointers etc.
(Note, I'm talking about pure C, not C++, which is a very different

> thing I was reading is that alot of the tutorials assume prior
> programming

Thats true of Python too, but there are a few asembler tutorials that still
assume zero programming. Unfortunately they do all need you to understand
the basics of how a computer is put together - arithmetic unit, memory,
registers, IO ports etc Assembler is inextricably tied to the machine.

One brilliant book if you can get it (via a library?) is "The Soul of CP/M"
Obviously way out of datae since its based on CP/M but the writing style
is brilliant and it teaches real world assembler - withh use of BIOS
to read the keyboard etc and builds a usabletext editor by the end.

Some of the very early Peter Norton books are good too, aimed at DOS
and the original IBM PC.

Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site