[Tutor] Compile py to exe in ubuntu

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 11 09:34:19 CET 2010

"Harya Dananjaya" <dananzoff at gmail.com> wrote

>> Do you mean a windows executable? Not really. Why do you want an .exe
>> anyway? Python code is (usually) cross-platform.
> Yupe, python is cross platform, but we need install python in every
> computer we want to using the pyththon *.py .

What would you do with Java? It too is cross platform but
requires a JVM to be installed on every platform. Python is similar.

The "compilers" actually bundle up the python interpreter with
the script to create a large executable single file. But if
you already have Python, or if you load several of these
"exe"s it becomes very inefficient way to storing
programs - multiple versions of Python.

There can be cases where it makes sense but there are more
cases where it malkes more sense to just install Python. IMHO

Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site