[Tutor] Python and algorithms

Christian Witts cwitts at compuscan.co.za
Thu Feb 18 12:21:06 CET 2010

C.T. Matsumoto wrote:
> Thanks Christian,
> I'd found that resource and at first glance it looks above my head.
> The book also
> has examples based on existing algorithms and analyzes them. When I
> said analyze
> I suppose I meant analyze a problem and make an algorithm out of that.
> Not to mention the math is out of my skill set (for now).
> I'm looking for the real basics. I'm not sure if I can get away with
> applying the
> subject directly into python, without first studying some math. On the
> other
> hand I've made it this far and I suppose there are other developers
> out there
> that didn't have the math background and worked out how to efficiently
> solve
> problems.
> Thanks,
> Todd
> Christian Witts wrote:
>> C.T. Matsumoto wrote:
>>> Hello Tutors,
>>> Can someone point me to any resources that can teach me about
>>> algorithms in python?
>>> I'm interested in learning how to analyze and make an algorithm.
>>> Oh, I have no background in math, but a sturdy knowledge of python,
>>> and I want to
>>> make more efficient code.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Todd
>> You can try this out:
>> Data Structures and Algorithms with Object-Oriented Design Patterns
>> in Python
>> http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus7/html/book.html
Hi Todd,

Possibly look around to see if you can get a copy of Introduction to
Data Structures and Algorithms in Python
(http://www.cs.luther.edu/~bmiller/Papers/booktoc.pdf), not sure if it's
something printed outside of the university but their ToC might be more
in line with what you're looking for.

Design & Analysis of Algorithms
Algorithms Wikibook (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Algorithms)
Intro to Algorithms 3rd Edition

I've never personally seen a resource with the intention of teaching you
how to analyse a problem and create an algorithmic solution without
first teaching you some of the fundamental mathematics and already
existing algorithmic solutions.

Hope some of that helps.

Kind Regards,
Christian Witts