[Tutor] Python and algorithms

spir denis.spir at free.fr
Fri Feb 19 12:25:24 CET 2010

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:11:22 -0500
Kent Johnson <kent37 at tds.net> wrote:

> It's true that solving a problem often involves creating an algorithm
> in a broad sense. The formal study of algorithms studies specific
> techniques and algorithms that have proven to be useful to solve many
> hard problems. In my experience most programming problems do not
> require use of these formal algorithms, at least not explicitly.

Hello,

I would say that what is commonly called "algorithm" in computer science is a given class of possible algorithm that can (more easily) be formally expressed. Especially in mathematical terms. The reason why these are much more studied.
But algorithmics can also be more generally understood as the "art & technique" of software design. Then, every programming task involves algorithmics. This may also be called "modelizing", a term than imo sensibly suggests how similar it is to the job of scientists.
Modelizing is hard and hard to study because close to infinitely various and complex. Improving one's skills in this field is a whole life's yoga ;-) "I want to get a clearer mind"; "I want to become more lucid". An extremely big, difficult and rich book on the topic of thinking complexity is "la méthode" by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Morin  (I don't have references to the english version).

Denis