[Tutor] Replacing part of a URL

Lao Mao laomao1975 at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 20 23:34:34 CET 2010

Hello,

I need to be able to replace the last bit of a bunch of URLs.

The urls look like this:

www.somesite.com/some/path/to/something.html

They may be of varying lengths, but they'll always end with
.something_or_other.html

I want to take the "something" and replace it with something else.

My current plan is to simply do a string.split("/")[-1]

and then another .split('.') to result in ['something', 'html'], and then
replace sometihing, and join them together again.

But - wouldn't it make more sense to do this with re.sub?

In which case, how would I specify only the bit between the last / and the
.html?

Thanks,

Laomao