[Tutor] Strange list behaviour in classes

James Reynolds eire1130 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 00:26:58 CET 2010

Thanks for the reply.

I understand, but if self.value is any number other then 0, then the "for"
will append to the square list, in which case square_list will always have
some len greater than 0 when "value" is greater than 0?

I'm just trying to understand the mechanics. I'm assuming that isn't the way
the statement is evaluated?

When I get home from work I'll work around it.

Is this an occasion which is best suited for a try:, except statement? Or
should it, in general, but checked with "if's". Which is more expensive?

The rest of the code was in the prior email (please see below)

Module 1:

import Statistics

a = [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10]

mean = Statistics.stats.mean(*a)
median = Statistics.stats.median(*a)
var = Statistics.stats.variance(*a)
print(mean, median, var)
print()

Module 2:

#!/usr/bin/python
# Filename: Statistics.py

import math
value_list = []
class Statistics:
def __init__(self, *value_list):
 self.value = value_list
#self.average = mean(*value_list)
self.square_list= []
 def mean(self, *value_list):
if len(self.value) == 0:
 ave = 0
else:
ave = sum(self.value) / len(self.value)
 return ave

def median(self, *value_list):
if len(self.value) <= 2:
 n = self.mean(self.value)
elif len(self.value) % 2 == 1:
m = (len(self.value) - 1)/2
 n = self.value[m+1]
else:
m = len(self.value) / 2
 m = int(m)
n = (self.value[m] + self.value[m+1]) / 2
return n
 def variance(self, *value_list):
if self.value == 0:
 var = 0
else:
average = self.mean(*self.value)
 for n in range(len(self.value)):
square = (self.value[n] - average)**2
 self.square_list.append(square)
var = sum(self.square_list) / len(self.square_list)
 return var

stats = Statistics(*value_list)