[Tutor] 'Hello world'

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 1 20:18:03 CET 2010

"Eldon L Mello Jr" <eldonjr at hotmail.com> wrote

> programming and all but I honestly didn't expect I would have problems in
> my very first step which was just to print 'hello world'.

> SyntaxError: invalid syntax (<pyshell#1>, line 1)

Looks like you are using a v2 tutorial, you need to find a v3 one.

There are several around, including my own - although it is not fully
complete all the basic topics are there now.
If you have experience in any other language the official one is
probably the best.

v3 of Python is a major rewrite and although largely backwardws compatible
there are a number of new features that are not. One of the most important
is print, but there are several others that will trip you up if you use a
v2 tutorial.

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site