[Tutor] find() doesnt work as expected

MK lopoff at gmx.net
Sat Jan 2 00:53:53 CET 2010

At first, happy new year to all of you.

I am trying to write a little script which uses one file
as input and looks if the string from this file are in target file. And
if not prints out that line/string so that i know which strings must
be added to complete the target file. The format of the target file
is different as the source/string query file.

I tried this but it gives nothing out:

# -------------------------
rom optparse import OptionParser
import os
#import re

# ------------------------------

def help_here():
	print """
	I need the input file and the file to check.
	Both files must exist. Try --help.
	"""
	exit()

# ------------------------------
parser = OptionParser()
parser.add_option("-i", "--input-file", type="string",
				dest="input_file",
				help="input file with querys to check")
parser.add_option("-f", "--file-to-check", type="string",
				dest="file_to_check",
				help="file which will be checked with querys from input file")

(options, args) = parser.parse_args()
input_file=options.input_file
file_to_check=options.file_to_check

infi = open(input_file,"r")
ftck = open(file_to_check,"r")
ftck_datei=ftck.read()
ftck.close()

for a in infi:
	found = ftck_datei.find(a)
	if found==-1:
		print a

infi.close()
# ------------------------------

And here some source file/querys and an target file:

#--------------------------------
Colorful Tabs
Cookie Monster
Download Statusbar
DownThemAll
FoxyProxy
NoScript
ScrapBook
TrackMeNot
Adblock Plus
Tab Mix Plus
gTranslate
#----------------------------------

#---------------------------------
Firefox AddOns which are useful
Colorful Tabs
Cookie Monster
Download Statusbar
DownThemAll
FoxyProxy
NoScript
ScrapBook
TrackMeNot
Adblock Plus
Tab Mix Plus
gTranslate
UserAgentSwitcher
Greasemonkey
Greasefire
DOM Inspector
Firebug
RefControl

The thing is that the target file could be a XML file or something so
that it looks if the query is in the line of the targetfile.
Else i could use diff but my files are not the exact text but have
strings in it which i want to query.

Thank you.