[Tutor] Python workspace - IDE and version control

ALAN GAULD alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 20 01:56:11 CET 2010

>> I prefer RCS - two commands is all you need (ci/co) :-)
>
> Certainly, OTOH, you get only file based commits, no upgrade path
> should you ever decide that you need to go multiuser
> (and multiuser can be just you with two different places,

Well, you get tags which allow you to check in/out a whole project
at a time if need be. And RCS does allow multi user and server
based working (just by locating the RCS folder there!). In fact the
biggest project I ever worked on had around 3.5 million lines of
C++ in 10,000 source files in over 200 folders and it was all
controlled using RCS and makefiles.

And branching and merging are all standard features too. (We had
over 400 developers working off the repositories with 4 or 5 branches
active at any one time - but CVS would have been much easier if it
had been available at the time - v1.0 was just released the same year
we started work - 1990!)

But modern tools are much better I agree. And at work, as I said, we use
subversion (and CVS on older projects). In my time I've also used
several heavyweight version and configuration control tools - ranging
in price from a few hundred pounds to several hundred thousand dollars.

The best by a long shot is ClearCase on Unix, although Aide de Camp
is also good. But these both cost $$$$

For my home use, the biggest Python project I've done had less
than 10 files in a single folder plus some imported modules from
my personal collection so RCS is more than adequate.

Alan G.