[Tutor] Future of Python Programmers

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 31 10:26:19 CET 2010

"nikunj badjatya" <nikunjbadjatya at gmail.com> wrote

> I have one important question to ask to all of you,
> I am a fresher, recently completed my graduation, had started working on
> python 2 months back..!! and I just fell in love with the language.
> The only concern is there arent enough companies which work on Python.

How many companies do you need?
One is enough if you fork for that one...

> Is there any chance where the development of Python will make it as fast
> as
> C++ or JAVA, (or it is at its optimum level? ) .

No, just as there is no chance that Java will ever be as fast
as C++ or C++ as fast as C or C as fast as assembler.
You can construct test cases where they approach each other
but raw speed is related to how  close you can get to the machine.
The trade off is that raw speed requires guru level skill and a lot of
development time. So if you measure speed in terms of productivity
Python is already faster than Java!

But your concerms are misplaced.
All programming languages (except perhaps COBOL and FORTRAN)
come and go. When I left university (mid 1980's) everyone was using
Pascal and C. ADA and Prolog were the forecast kings of the block
and a few people were playing with Smalltalk.Then Windows came out
and C++ suddenly took over. Then it was Java.Then scripting languages
became poular. I don;t know what we will be using in 20 years time but
it probavbly won't be Java or C++ or even Python.Get used to it, as a
professional you will learn and use many languages (I know over 20 that
I've used in real projects, and probavbly another dozen that I studied
just for the knowledge they gave). Languages are just not that important.

Stop fiocussing on languages, start to focus on the deeper
fundamentals of programming. Design, architecture, state, data
structures, logic coupling, cohesion, concurrency etc
These things do not change.

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site