[Tutor] Help with choices for new database program

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Sat Jul 3 17:25:20 CEST 2010

Jeff Johnson wrote:
> On 07/02/2010 11:40 AM, Chris C. wrote: I'm writing this question
> because I want, for my own satisfaction, to rewrite one of my Access dbs
> (one that does our finances) into a stand-alone Python database program
> using SQLite. I know I'll be learning as I go, but that'll work, I'm not
> in a big hurry and I'll work on it in my spare time. Right now I'm
> trying to get organized and get a game plan, and that's where I need help.
>
> I have been developing database applications for 20 years using FoxPro
> and VFP. Now I am developing using Dabo. Dabo is a framework wrapper for
> wxPython written totally in Python. I use SQLite for small applications
> and PostgreSQL for larger ones. Dabo was written by two of the top
> FoxPro developers and is supported by many others all over the world.
>
> http://dabodev.com/
>
> Please check it out. And go to www.leafe.com and subscribe to the
> dabo-user email list.

I would like to try out Dabo, but I don't see it in the Ubuntu
repositories and I would like to avoid using svn if I can.  I didn't
subscribe to the mailing list but I did read the archives and saw a
thread about making a deb package.  It seems to have ended in April
without a clear resolution.

So is there a package available so I can use the Ubuntu package manager
to install it?

Thanks,  Jim