[Tutor] Help with choices for new database program

Martin Walsh mwalsh at mwalsh.org
Sun Jul 4 07:06:32 CEST 2010

On 07/03/2010 10:25 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> Jeff Johnson wrote:

[snip]

>> http://dabodev.com/
>>
>> Please check it out. And go to www.leafe.com and subscribe to the
>> dabo-user email list.
>
> I would like to try out Dabo, but I don't see it in the Ubuntu
> repositories and I would like to avoid using svn if I can.  I didn't
> subscribe to the mailing list but I did read the archives and saw a
> thread about making a deb package.  It seems to have ended in April
> without a clear resolution.
>
> So is there a package available so I can use the Ubuntu package manager
> to install it?

Unfortunately, after poking around a bit it would seem the only reliable
way of installing dabo for Linux at the moment is checking out trunk
from the project's subversion repository. Someone better informed should
feel free to set the record straight, if I am mistaken.

If your interest in a deb package is mainly the ability to uninstall,
then I'd recommend using virtualenv[1] until a suitable deb package is
released. The steps would be roughly this (untested) ...

$ sudo apt-get install python-reportlab python-wxgtk2.8
$ sudo apt-get install subversion python-virtualenv
$ virtualenv daboenv
$ cd daboenv
$ source bin/activate # this is important
# now we install dabo as recommended, adapted from:
#   http://wiki.dabodev.com/InstallationOnLinux
(daboenv)$
(daboenv)$ mkdir src && cd src
(daboenv)$ svn co http://svn.dabodev.com/dabo/trunk dabo
(daboenv)$ cd dabo
(daboenv)$ python setup.py install # no sudo!
# and run the demo to verify the installation
(daboenv)$ demo/DaboDemo.py

Hmm, this might seem like a lot of work -- but by using this method,
dabo is installed under daboenv and not in the system-wide site-packages
-- particularly useful for evaluation, IMO. YMMV.

HTH,
Marty

[1] http://virtualenv.openplans.org/