[Tutor] "x and y" means "if x is false, then x, else y"??

Richard D. Moores rdmoores at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 09:27:08 CEST 2010

See <http://docs.python.org/py3k/library/stdtypes.html#boolean-operations-and-or-not>.
I am quite familiar with the meaning of "x and y" in Python, and how
it is evaluated -- first x, and only if x is False, then evaluate y.
But I just can't read "if x is false, then x, else y" that way. In
fact, I can't read it at all. Is this a mistake in the Python 3 docs?
If not, can someone tell me how to make sense of it?

BTW I came across this while reading the ingenuously designed and
remarkably clear Chapter 2 of Mark Pilgrim's "Dive Into Python".
(<http://diveintopython3.org/>). A link down at the bottom of
<http://diveintopython3.org/native-datatypes.html>, in Section 2.9
"Further Reading, Boolean Operations", took me to that section of the
docs.

Thanks,

Dick Moores