[Tutor] Python Documentation Clarification

Huy Ton That huyslogic at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 16:49:04 CEST 2010

This is going to sound silly, but I realized there are some areas within the
documentation that do not make absolute sense to me.

e.g.

compile(source, filename, mode[, flags[, dont_inherit]])

I see within this built in function, the first argument can be what they
define as source, the second argument as the filename and the third as the
mode.

But what confuses me is sometimes I see a bracket, above as [, flags[,
dont_inherit]]. Is this an optional argument like flags=dont_inherit?

Just not grokking it correctly and I can't seem to track down where the
documentation formatting is defined within the python.org documentation...